Hi, Rafael.

It applies for the simple OU model. Relevant code in OUwie:

  if (model == "OU1"){
    np=2
    index<-matrix(TRUE,2,k)
    index.mat[1,1:k]<-1
    index.mat[2,1:k]<-2
    if(root.station==TRUE){
      param.count<-np+1
    }
    if(root.station==FALSE){
      param.count<-np+2
    }
    bool=root.station
  }

If root stationarity is assumed, there are three parameters: alpha and
sigma.sq (the np=2 cost) and theta (the +1 for param.count); if not
assumed, there is +2 for the param.count for theta at root and theta
elsewhere.  For BM1, np is 1 (sigma.sq) and param.count is 2 (root state,
though the MLE for this does not require optimization as there's an
equation for it), so they should be comparable.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendar.html>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv.html>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/feedback.html>

Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
He/Him/His