Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the number of parameters in simple BM and OU
models in OUwie. $param.count in the fitted results gives 2 for BM and 3
for OU. I know that the 2 BM params are sigma and the trait value at the
root, but I'm a little confused about the OU params. I expected there to be
4 of them: sigma, alpha, theta and the trait value at the root.

Digging a little deeper, the OUwie documentation explains that under the
default settings (which I used), the value at the root is dropped from the
model and drawn from the stationary distribution of the OU process. But the
documentation only says that explicitly for the more complex OUMV and OUMVA
models. So I just wanted to make sure that that is also applied to the
simple OU model.

I'm also wondering about the implications of this for comparing the fits of
OU and BM, if for one (BM) the root value is estimated and for the other
(OU) it is not...

Thanks in advance,

*--*
*Rafael Sobral Marcondes*
PhD Candidate (Systematics, Ecology and Evolution/Ornithology)

Museum of Natural Science <http://www.lsu.edu/mns/>
Louisiana State University
119 Foster Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA