Hello,

I am working with the phylo object from the ape package in my own package in
which I am manipulating the trees. I would like to check that I have
successfully created a valid ape object, but the `checkValidPhylo` function
appears to be solely interactive — it prints out a display, and always returns
NULL.

Is there a function in the ape package (or can there be?) that would do the
checks, but return the results in a way that I can then process in my function?
(e.g. return a vector of each of the checks as TRUE/FALSE) And I don’t want
anything printed out, since I don’t want that output to be printed for users of
my function).

I see the package `paleotree` has ported some of those checks into a test, so
I’m guessing such a function doesn’t exist in ape — and I don’t really want a
dependency on another package just for these checks.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Purdom