Hi Elizabeth,

There's a lot of ways for trees to be wrong, and surely no
tree-checking or tree-fixing function can handle all possibilities.
Dating trees and simulating trees can be a messy business, so I used
to often hard-crash R with C++ errors all the time until I wrote
functions to try to avoid this. (At one point, now many years ago, and
probably not true anymore, but if you had a tree with nodes ordered in
a way opposite of what ape expected, you could cause your operating
system to blue-screen if you tried to plot the tree...).
`paleotree::testEdgeMat` tests the edge matrix, which is often the
source of problems, for inconsistencies. There is also paleotree
function `cleanNewPhylo` will try to clean a tree of any of the stuff
or misordered nodes that can cause a hard crash, particularly by
reading it out as a text string and reading it back in with write.tree
and read.tree.

I hope this helps,
-Dave

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 2:54 PM Elizabeth Purdom
<epur...@stat.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working with the phylo object from the ape package in my own package in
> which I am manipulating the trees. I would like to check that I have
> successfully created a valid ape object, but the `checkValidPhylo` function
> appears to be solely interactive — it prints out a display, and always
> returns NULL.
>
> Is there a function in the ape package (or can there be?) that would do the
> checks, but return the results in a way that I can then process in my
> function? (e.g. return a vector of each of the checks as TRUE/FALSE) And I
> don’t want anything printed out, since I don’t want that output to be printed
> for users of my function).
>
> I see the package `paleotree` has ported some of those checks into a test, so
> I’m guessing such a function doesn’t exist in ape — and I don’t really want a
> dependency on another package just for these checks.
>
> Thanks,
> Elizabeth Purdom

David W. Bapst, PhD
Assistant Instructional Professor