You can use something like corHMM (https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syt034)
and perhaps its rayDISC function to find parts of the tree where the
transition rates between states are different (for your question, where
rates might be higher). Basically, it allows a hidden "trait" (which isn't
necessarily a single trait, just some thing or things that change on the
tree) to affect the transition rates. A good example is
https://academic.oup.com/view-large/figure/115233499/syt034f3.jpeg -- you
can see where transition rates are higher. The nice thing (though note my
conflict of interest, as a coauthor) is that it allows the rates to
actually change over the tree; different approaches that use a single rate
matrix over the whole tree and then reconstruct changes (using things such
as stochastic character mapping) are essentially using a model to infer
things in order to find deviations from a model. One downside of the corHMM
model is that the hidden changes evolve under a continuous time Markov
model -- fine if you think whatever factors affect character rate
(biogeographic changes, presence of certain other species, new
morphological traits, etc.) evolve in this way (which is true for nearly
all of them) but not if a single factor appears suddenly (i.e., radical
change in environment for all species once an asteroid his the planet).
CorHMM might have a timeslice function to allow this, but I'm not sure.

If you have a lot of characters, a different approach could be to estimate
branch lengths under something like a Lewis MKV model, which basically
gives you amount of change averaged across all characters, and then compare
the ratio of those branch lengths to the chronogram branch lengths for
those same edges. Those branches with higher than the average ratio have
more character change per unit of time than other branches. There's
probably a paper or papers that do this, but I don't recall any at the
moment, my apologies.

If the question is about two rate regimes (i.e., before or after a massive
event) or gradual change of rates, you could do tree transformations: use
Geiger's tree transformation function with discrete characters to find the
transformations that best fit the data -- maybe more change earlier than
later, a discrete shift in rate 30 MY ago, etc.

Some standard caveats on these and other potential solutions: ancestral
state reconstruction is very hard to do well: N tips have N-1 ancestral
states to estimate, plus rate parameters. That's a lot, which is why
methods that fit overall rates could be better than reconstructing many
changes. But it's possible to over-interpret these, too: you can in theory
from corHMM get an estimate of the support for every hidden state and rates
for every node, but I wouldn't read a lot into every single node. Also,
there's still the challenge of Maddison & FitzJohn (2015):
https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syu070. It still scares me, personally, and
the issues raised affect our interpretation of many methods that look at
rates, such as the ones here.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara

Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
He/Him/His