I am interested in testing whether ancestral state changes (e.g. habitat
transitions) are clustered in time and/or in specific lineages rather than
randomly distributed on phylogeny. Does a method already exist for testing
this? I am aware of BayesTraits for testing correlation among states, but
not a method for clustered distribution of state changes with time. What
immediately comes to mind is simulating an expected temporal distribution
of state changes if changes were random and comparing to observed temporal
distribution, but I just want to check if something more sophisticated
exists.

Thank you!

--
Elizabeth Miller, Ph.D.