Dear list,

I am interested in determining how many times a trait was gained across a
phylogeny. So I simulated the evolution of the trait (using simmap in phytools)
and I can look at the mean number of gains across in the simulations, which in
my case was ~20. However, I would also like to be able to point at the nodes
where the trait was likely gained on my tree. For this, I simply rounded the
posterior probability at each node to either 0 or 1. However, this only gives
me 18 nodes where the trait was likely gained. I think I can see why there is a
difference between those numbers; although there are 20 gains on average, since
those gains aren’t always going to occur on the same nodes, then there aren’t
going to be 20 nodes with a probability of gaining the trait >0.5.

My question is (1) is my logic right as to why that discrepancy exists, and (2)
if I want to say “this trait likely evolved X number of times”, which is the
more correct way to get that number? Should I report the mean/median (maybe
with confidence intervals), or does it make more sense to look at the posterior
probability at each node and get a number that way?

Any input would be appreciated, phylogenetics is still pretty new to me!

Thanks,
Lucas

—
Lucas Eckert (he/him)
www.lucaseckert.ca<http://www.lucaseckert.ca>
MSc Student | McGill University
Barrett and Bell Labs | Redpath Museum and Department of Biology