> On May 28, 2015, at 1:53 PM, George Neuner <gneun...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 08:34:11 -0700 (PDT), N N
> <nawar.noo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to set up Racket for evaluation purposes and due to being
>> on CentOS with no root privileges, I've chosen the Racket minimal
>> distribution.
>>
>> I was able to compile it from source and run it and wanted to manually
>> install xrepl for an improved interpreter experience. I found the package on
>> GitHub and downloaded it.
>>
>> However, I've not been able to install it using raco. I was advised to call
>> "raco pkg install --link <path_to_package>", however that fails with:
>>
>> call-with-file-lock/timeout: contract violation
>> expected: (>=/c 0.0)
>> given: -1202590842.0
>> context...:
>>  /home/user/Applications/Racket/share/racket/collects/racket/file.rkt:298:0:
>> call-with-file-lock/timeout35
>>  /home/user/Applications/Racket/share/racket/collects/pkg/main.rkt:167:14
>>  (submod /home/user/Applications/Racket/share/racket/collects/pkg/main.rkt
>> main): [running body]
>>  /home/user/Applications/Racket/share/racket/collects/pkg/raco.rkt:
>> [traversing imports]
>>  /home/user/Applications/Racket/share/racket/collects/raco/raco.rkt:
>> [running body]
>>  /home/user/Applications/Racket/share/racket/collects/raco/main.rkt:
>> [running body]
>>
>> I'm on CentOS 5.10, no root privileges and we use the NFS protocol (I
>> suspect it's possibly related to that). Any call involving 'install' also
>> fails in a similar fashion.
>>
>> Interestingly, when I was trying to compile the full version, I was
>> occasionally running into the same problem and was having to restart the
>> compile as it was taking a really long time. In the end I got frustrated and
>> went for the minimal distribution.
>>
>> I've never had that problem compiling anything else before (vim being a
>> recent example).
>>
>> Thanks.

… lots of helpful stuff omitted...

> I did see the message from John Clements.  I'm not a Racket developer,
> but superficially it appears to me that the negative delay values John
> found should be causing errors on every platform that supports file
> locking [which is every supported platform].  Clearly they aren't, so
> now I am wondering whether locking actually is enabled and being used
> for local filesystems.

I don’t think I would interpret my message in that way. Specifically, I was
unable to find a call to that function that specified those values (delay or
max-delay) at all. However, I was exploring using github, and didn’t take the
time to actually download the 6.1.1 tarball.  My guess (and it’s just a guess)
is that there is such a call, and that the problem does ultimately stem from
some problem that’s specific to NFS.

John