A very rookie question: I am trying to figure out how to specify the
equivalent of HTML's rowspan attribute for tabular from scribble/base: that
is, to have a cell which spans more than one row. In LaTeX, I think I would
use "multirow" (but I'm no LaTeX expert).

I know so know about 'cont, but I believe that only lets a cell span
multiple columns: I'm looking for the a vertical version. Is there a
built-in way to do this? Or otherwise, if it's not too daunting to
implement myself, could someone point me in the right direction?

Here's some ASCII art of what I'm going for, if that's clearer:

|         | Date:     | Nov 29 | Dec 30 |
|         | Time:     | 12:18  |  3:06  |
|         | Expected: |   3    |   1    |
|         | Actual:   |   2    |   1    |
| Pears & | Expected: |   4    |   9    |
|  Plums  | Actual:   |   6    |   3    |