> On Jan 2, 2017, at 7:25 AM, Philip McGrath <phi...@philipmcgrath.com> wrote:
>

> So why have I not complained about this?
>
> First, most generally, because the bug is clearly my fault.

Hi Philip, thanks for this example. What Robby and I had in mind are calls to
errors inside a library that baffle client programmers. When (1) it is clear
from the error message how to fix the mistake and (2) the fix can be easily
located in your code, there’s no problem. Our goal is to eliminate situations
when either (1), (2) or both are unclear due to error "from the guts”.

> hank you for all of the thought you all have given to useful error messages,
> and for contracts specifically.

We owe this aspect of our work to our original goal of spreading the word about
reading, ‘riting, ‘rogramming but it turns out, it’s generally useful.

Errors matter, POPL 2002 :-)

— Matthias