From: racket-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:racket-users@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of claire alvis
Sent: domingo, 18 de junio de 2017 18:08
To: Racket Users
Cc: matth...@ccs.neu.edu
Subject: Re: [racket-users] RacketCon Code of Conduct

On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 2:53:23 PM UTC-4, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> A code of conduct is a totally stupid idea for RacketCon. Racketeers were
> raised properly by their parents and are well behaved. I
really hate attending conferences that need to impose a code.

Not all people at the conference will be Racketeers.

Not all people at the conference will have the same definition of "raised
properly by their parents".

Not all people considering attending the conference will know whether or not
this is a safe community.  Some may be unwilling to
spend the money to attend RacketCon without knowing ahead of time that they are
meant to be welcome.  Some may not be interested in
a community that refuses to explicitly say toxic people are unwelcome.

If you all have a definition of what "raised properly by their parents" means,
writing down that definition both deters potentially
toxic people from attending and, more importantly, attracts people who have
previously had bad experiences at programming language
conferences.  A code of conduct is a simple signal of inclusivity and it helps
people decide whether a community is worth their time
and energy.

I don't doubt that you all will continue to treat each other with respect (and
deal with people who are not respectful) with or
without a code of conduct.  But I would suggest by not being explicit, you are
making an unfortunate tradeoff: excluding a set of
people who could otherwise be valuable members of your community by leaving the
door open for toxicity.

Needless to say, as a RacketCon attendee, Racket observer, and person who has
experienced harassment and other inappropriate
behavior at conferences in the past, +1 for a code of conduct.