Aha — so it isn't really an issue with serialization at all. If I (now)
understand this correctly, when a function produces a contracted
higher-order result, it is the responsibility of the caller of the original
function to ensure that the result function is always applied to
appropriate arguments. That would explain why this version
blames intermediary:

#lang racket

(module server racket
  (provide (contract-out
            [adder (-> natural-number/c (-> natural-number/c
                                            natural-number/c))]))
  (struct adder (base)
    #:property prop:procedure
    (λ (this x)
      (+ (adder-base this) x))))
(module intermediary racket
  (require (submod ".." server))
  (provide add5)
  (define add5
    (adder 5)))
(require 'intermediary)
(add5 'not-a-number)

I had previously intuited that the obligation would be on the caller of the
result function, whoever that might be.

When serialization is in the mix, is there a correct way for server to
protect itself from instances of adder being abused after they are
deserialized?

-Philip