On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 12:17:46 AM UTC+8, Joel Dueck wrote:

> On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 10:40:13 AM UTC-5, Alexis King wrote:
>>
>> Distributing a closed-source, non-LGPL Racket application without
>> violating Racket’s licensing terms is likely to be very difficult or
>> impossible, pending the still-ongoing MIT + Apache 2 relicensing effort.
>>

> This was startling for me to read, as I have been contemplating doing that
> very thing.

I am curious to know how you plan to comply with section 4.d of the LGPL,
which states that the users of your application must be able to replace the
LGPL "library" with a modified version of their own -- this means all the
racket packages that you use in your application (even the ones shipped
with Racket):

Option 4.d.1 is not possible, since racket packages are not shared
libraries.

Option 4.d.0 would essentially require you to provide your customers with
all the compiled object code (.zo files), along with instructions on how
the user can reconstruct your application using a different Racket version
-- I am not sure if this is even possible.  I guess, you could provide your
customers with the source code for your application (along with a license
which prevents them from re-distributing it), in this case they would be
able to "link in" another version of Racket.  Perhaps there are other ways?

I like the intent of LGPL, but I think this detail makes it a poor fit for
an environment like Racket.

Also, I am not a lawyer.

Alex.