On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 11:54:42 AM UTC-5, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> If someone violates (their non-lawyer interpretation of) the Racket
> license, in a conspicuous manner like you suggest, would they not expect
> the SFC to send them a nastygram -- perhaps if only for the SFC to show
> that they defend the copyright, if not for other reasons?
>
> Racket core doesn't necessarily even have to be in the loop:
>
> https://www.itworld.com/article/2732025/gpl-enforcement-sparks-community-flames.html

Here’s Karen Sandler, Executive Director of the SFC, responding to Matthew
Butterick on racket-dev last year[1]:

Apparently, much of the SFC's advocacy and energy goes into GPL /
>> copyleft issues. But last I checked, Racket is migrating away from GPL
>> / copyleft. [3] What is the SFC's position on the MIT license? Do
>> member projects that are not GPL / copyleft have the same standing
>>  within SFC?
>>

> Conservancy is license agnostic as an organization. We have many
> projects that are non-copyleft, and they are just as important to us.
>
> *We only undertake copyleft enforcement for our member projects that ask
> us to do it.* The vast majority of our work is not related to copyleft at
> all - it's sending developers to conferences, hiring contractors to work
> on free software, helping to run conferences and helping with various
> random things that projects need.

This seems consistent with the twisty maze of events described in the
article you linked to. I suppose that, taken together, this means that any
single contributor/copyright holder might be able to have SFC sick their
lawyers on me.

There’s also, as Matthew Butterick mentioned earlier [2], the open question
of whether the SFC itself now has ownership of Racket’s trademark and
copyrights.

[1]: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/racket-dev/QeYN6uZBWBc/TgWA8sx0BAAJ
[2]: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/racket-users/qyBcm77-hCE/nEY_spNYDwAJ