On 9/13/2020 4:12 PM, Nate Griswold wrote:
Sorry, i forgot to mention this would be interfacing on the main thread from c

does this still hold true? Like if a c call returns does it kill the places?

Nate

I'm not really sure what you are asking:  it sounds like you are wanting to embed Racket into a C program ... if that is the case, then the primary thread is in the C program and any/all Racket threads will be secondary.

I don't know that Racket's place API even works in an embedded scenario.  You certainly can create multiple threads within your C program and run Racket in them, but it's hard to share a Racket environment, and if you create a separate execution environment for each thread, then their operations will be independent of one another.

If you just call a Racket function from C, that function will be executed in the same thread as the caller, and it will return to the caller when it finishes.  Of course that function could have side effects such as signaling a separate Racket thread to terminate.

A lot depends on what you are trying to do and how you structure your solution.

George