While I completely agree that testing one's function is the best practical
advice here, it also seems worth an improvement to plot. Perhaps, in
addition to saying "could not determine sensible plot bounds", it could
also say something like "because there were no points" and perhaps even
follow up with "tried these points, but they all raised exceptions: ....".

Robby