Kieron, hello.

On 4 Aug 2021, at 22:04, Kieron Hardy wrote:

Iā€™m surprised no one has mentioned Rash so I will ... perhaps Rash will be a useful tool for you ...

https://docs.racket-lang.org/rash/

ā€œ2 Rash Guide ... Rash is a shell language embedded in Racket. ā€œ

Thanks for pointing this out. I've looked at rash before, when you or someone else has mentioned it on-list.

The thing that I really enjoyed about scsh was that it was convenient in a different direction from rash, which aims to be nice to use interactively. Scsh didn't aim for interactive use -- it was purely for scripts -- but it provided really well thought-out bindings for lots of POSIX, plus sane syntax (and a fast start-up), so that it was a _very_ effective alternative to sh scripts. Unfortunately scsh last got some love about five years ago [1].

It also has a sentimental attachment for me, because it was the first Scheme implementation I played with.

Best wishes,

Norman

[1] https://github.com/scheme/scsh and https://scsh.net

--
Norman Gray  :  http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/it/
Research IT Coordinator  :  School of Physics and Astronomy