On 10/3/2021 4:04 PM, 'William J. Bowman' via Racket Users wrote:
I'm trying to run sandboxes in places, but when the sandboxes need access to
racket/gui (such as through 2htdp/universe), they get `cannot instantiate
racket/gui/base' a second time`. I've tried initing racket/gui once in the
server that starts the places, but this doesn't seem to work. (gui-available?)
is still false in started places, and they still raise the exception when the
sandbox tries to load the gui module.

I don't really need to run gui code in the sandbox, so I'm guessing the best
workaround is to override `2htdp/universe` in the sandbox.

Anyone have either a solution, or a better workaround?

My (perhaps incorrect) understanding is that with dynamic (kernel thread) places, only the foreground place can have a GUI.  I'm not sure why the gui package won't load in a background place, but it may not work right even if you can get it to load.

Just a suggestion: you might try using Paulo Matos's "Loci" package - it simulates dynamic places using separate processes.  With Loci, the place is foreground in its own process, so it /might/ allow racket/gui to work.

https://pkgs.racket-lang.org/package/loci

Hope this doesn't lead down a rabbit hole.
George