I simply love it. I used to use the "walking" option, though the
Bicycling option seems to do an even better job of picking a route.
(Yes, it likely does make some decisions on keeping the route shorter
in certain instances.)

One of the many great things about Google Maps is that you click on
the route and drag it to different roads.  It is VERY easy to
customize your route.  You can RIGHT-CLICK (sorry cannot help you Mac
people) on the map and Add Destination.  So initial routes might not
be perfect, there are LOTS of ways to visually review your route using
satellite view and change your route.  I thought it did a pretty
decent job of picking an acceptable route.  For instance, here is a
link to an anticipated route for this weekend:

http://tinyurl.com/yzoc8c8