There really is no difference in the auto-centric world though.  My
wife will jump on the freeway to go a mile, I prefer to drive like I
ride.  I am generally a back-road and side-street route-goer.  If I
look for directions via any route-planner I get a route on major
freeways.

This is one of the few things that I like about Cyclopath that Bill C
mentioned.  It gives users the ability to create a profile and
personal ratings on roads and routes with options for route-planning
based on preferences for distance or bike-ability.  It's lack of
mapping coverage area, lack of options to manipulate route, flash-
based interface, and even some weirdness to getting it to plan a route
I want out-weigh its usefulness to me though.