Sometimes projects drag on a bit longer than desired. This one started in
July and the whole assembly and final parts selection is still in process.
 Impatient, I threw on some parts so that I could get it out during the
Thanksgiving weekend for a bit of a ride.  Glad I did because the weather
has now turned to full winter, 0 degrees right now and a good amount of
snow on the ground.

I had Eric Noren at Peacock Groove add a kickstand plate and mid-fork
braze-ons in early July. I also had him face the dropouts and all of the
braze-ons with stainless washers. Realizing that I had precious little time
to get a paint job on it in time for a late July tour, I gave it a REALLY
ugly rattle can paint job at the time so that I could go on RAGBRAI.

Over the period of August and up until Thanksgiving I took my time and
attempted to do a better job with the paint. I have a much greater
appreciation for just how difficult it is to paint a bicycle!  I had high
aspirations for fancy paint work and contrasting headtube. Reality sunk in
quickly and I justified the single-color decision.  I figured that by the
time I get racks, fenders, and all the parts mounted there will be enough
going on that one color might be best anyhow. :)

2 coats of primer, 3 base coat, and several clear. Enough clear over the
decals to make them almost smooth with the surface of the paint.   I ran
out of paint and then out of clear... My outdoor paint booth was subject to
occasional moisture issues and had very limited hours of operation as the
days grew shorter this fall.  Then cooler temperatures complicated the
difficulty of getting the clear to flow out smoothly. I ordered my paint
through AutomotiveTouchup based on the color of an automobile. The color
didn't turn out 100% the way I had envisioned.  I was hoping for more of a
black-cherry color, but the red-color only shows up in the sunlight.  Other
times and lighting it almost looks like a green or blue.

Lots of sanding, wet sanding, then polish to get me to the point where I am
quite pleased with the results. Pics or it doesn't exist, right...?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31359238@N06/sets/72157638215050844/
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/31359238@N06/sets/72157638215050844/>

--
Ken Yokanovich