Quoting James Agenbroad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Is there a reason I don't see why we need to distinguish between  alternative
titles and parallel titles?

A parallel title is of equivalent weight to the title proper, but
distinct from it.  Generally it's provided when the document is
addressed equally to different language communities.

An alternative title is a second way of naming the document.  The
trouble (to my eye) is that there are no clear conventions for its
use; and tools such as comprehensive bibliographies (e.g. Cambridge
bibliography of English literature) generally ignore it in formulating
headings under which they list their citations.  At least in modern
times, alternative titles seem to be just author's or publisher's
wimsy (The hobbit, or, There and back again; Eric, or, Little by
little); sometimes, the alternative title portion provided an
explanation of the main title, just as a subtitle usually does.

Hal Cain
Dalton McCaughey Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]