With all due respect, I don't think your reply deals with Jay Smith's
point, "But we should not abandon what we are
>> already doing well because some intriguing slide presentation seduces us
>> into thinking we should offer the entire universe."  What worries me
most about RDA is that it will be so broad that I will not be able to
use it to do the cataloging I need to do to perform basic user tasks
such as finding, selecting, navigating, collocating, let alone new
tasks.  Of course, what we hear from Diane Hillman is that RDA won't
allow us to take advantage of the new ways of gathering and processing
information either.

The other point I worry about is that some of what you have talked about
with RDA does not seem like it will enable me to distinguish one edition
from another or one work from another without careful examination of
texts.  The library catalog allows me to do that without examining the
text (or sound recording or visual work) itself.

When I add this sort of confusion to the behavior of research library
administrators who are buying into the notion that cataloging and the
tasks it serves are irrelevant, I come close to despair about the future
of the organization of information.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, General Cataloging Unit &