Martha,

Hmm. Your "pre-existing work" is in the same MARC field as someone
else's "author/title added entry." (700 with a $a/$t) Do others have a/t
entries that don't represent pre-existing works? What other
relationships are there? Is this the same as FRBR's "Transformation"?
(Is there any work being done to add FRBR relationships to bib data?)

This is also an example of why the FRBR levels may not be the same in
all institutions. If you do a "pre-existing work" search on "vladimir
nabokov lolita" you see 5 expressions that some libraries might not all
treat as separate expressions. I would say that this is the difference
between an archival view and a "lending library" view. For some
libraries, the two videodisc versions issued by different companies (but
seeming to have the same content) would be different manifestations,
like two different publishers putting out copies of Moby Dick. And I
think that some of your "manifestations" might be considered copies by
other institutions. (Do you have copies, or just manifestations?)

Both of these are good indications of why we need application profiles
-- that is, ways for different sub-communities to define their
particular data needs, and to communicate that to others who might want
to use their data. The RDA Vocabularies work that is going on will
provide at least some of the basis for the creation of application
profiles. I think we'll also need to define relationships between works
and between entities (creators, publishers, subjects, etc.) and works,
however, before we've really implemented anything that resembles FRBR.

kc

Martha Yee wrote:
Karen Coyle wrote:

The only use of FRBR in cataloging, that I'm aware of, is in the VTLS
system, where you actually create the 4 Group I entities. I have seen
brief demos but haven't heard from anyone who has actually used it for
cataloging to see how well it works. Note, there's a ppt on the VTLS
site that shows what this looks like:
    http://www.vtls.com/presentations/Virtua_Enriched_User_Searching.ppt

They show translations under a "FRBR-ized" title in a tree structure;
I'd rather see those as facets in a display. But even better than Work
I'd like to see an "uber-Work" that includes everything I give above,
and anything else we can think of, with facets that pull out those
relationships: by, about, influenced by, translations of.... uh, which
is what you get in some systems by doing a keyword search, although it
also brings in false hits.

From Martha Yee:

We use FRBR in our catalog at http://cinema.library.ucla.edu.

Works are represented by authority records.  Do a search under "pre-existing
works" to see how a keyword-in-heading work search of authority records can
work.  Many of the hits will be works that have been adapted into new motion
picture works. (A search on Shakespeare will give you the idea.)
Expressions (versions of motion pictures) are represented by bibliographic
records.  See Lawrence of Arabia for an example of a motion picture work
with many different expressions.  Manifestations of the same expression are
hung off the expression records in the form of MARC 21 holdings (see Becky
Sharp, one of our preserved titles, for an example).

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net