-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dan Matei
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:00 AM
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] libraries, society and RDA

Dear Jim

> takes time to digest. Some good, solid examples of where a
> more coherent result is found in a library catalog vs.
> full-text retrieval may be a good idea.

Easy :-)

My (real) case: I was looking for "Romanian" material in Google Books (i.e.
trying to locate
digitized books qualifying for "Romanian Patriotica"). Tough !

Simplifying the matter, I was trying to locate:

A. books in Romanian
B. books about Romania

Full view only :-(

A.      ... advanced search, language: Romanian and then as keys, several
"very" Romanian words
(like "mamaliga" [i.e. polenta], "suflet" [i.e. soul], ?ara [i.e. country],
istorie [i.e. history],
even "daca" [i.e. if], "obiect" [i.e. object] etc. etc. Poor crop, lot of
wasted time. I felt like
shooting crows, blindfolded.
B.      ... advanced search, key: "Romania". 1,558 hits. Many only marginally
related to Romania,
plus some totally false hits.

In contrast, in the LOC catalogue, (as expected) searching subject: Romania,
within the first page
(i.e. 100 headings, i.e. about 200 titles), maybe 2-3 titles are not relevant.

Maybe Google could improve the score, if they would allow me (also) to limit my
query only to
metadata.

> Jim Weinheimer

Dan Matei

Dan Matei, director
CIMEC - Institutul de Memorie Culturala [Institute for Cultural Memory]
Pia?a Presei Libere nr. 1, CP 33-90
Bucure?ti [Bucharest], Romania
www.cimec.ro