First, many thanks to Karen for pointing out this highly important document. It
seems as if everything libraries do is under attack now. Consistency has always
been at the very heart of the library catalog, and even it is being questioned.

This report concludes that consistency is not worthwhile, and I think this
paragraph (p. 17) sums it up quite well.
"At the other end of the spectrum is metadata of judgement. In traditional
cataloguing practice this is often called analytic cataloguing; it involves the
description of an item's 'aboutness' the assigning of controlled vocabulary
terms or classification numbers. This sort of metadata is highly subjective and
very expensive to create since it usually requires subject and/or metadata
experts (cataloguers). Moreover, it is extremely dependent on the intended
audience of the metadata. One person who is describing an item for a learning
objects repository may assign one set of terms, and another person describing
the same item for a subject repository may describe it another way. Same item.
Different experts. Different audience. Different metadata values. Given the
expense and nature of this type of content, we believe it is not feasible to
expect consistency with regard to metadata of judgement, except perhaps where
it occurs in a tightly controlled, narrow and consistent environment such as a
database of drug trials."

Later, on p. 20 we read
"brief judgemental records are the domain of humans (and maybe computers) but
the content will often be thin and inconsistent;
fuller and judgemental records are too labour intensive for all but clearly
defined situations where ongoing costs have been accurately estimated and
benefits are considered to outweigh them; and computer technology is not yet at
a stage to replace human effort in this regard."

So, what have we learned here? Subject analysis by catalogers is very expensive
(presumably because they make too much money), and they don’t do their jobs
very well. Therefore, subject analysis is not worthwhile. Although retaining
controlled vocabulary apparently is worthwhile.

To me, the conclusions don’t follow. When someone does a search on "Mark
Twain," I believe they expect "the set of works" by or about Mark Twain. When
they do a search on "WWII Battles" I believe they want "the set of works" about
battles of WWII. I don’t think this is an unwarranted assumption. In my
experience, when users do these searches, they actually think this is what they
are getting, but they definitely are not. Keyword searches are built in such a
way that people may be "happy" with the results they get, but people do not
understand what they are looking at. And this is the case whether they are
searching keywords in a library catalog (let’s even say a library catalog that
is perfectly consistent) or in Google and Yahoo. I do not need to discuss to
this group why this is the case.

But a library catalog is structured so that a user should be able to easily
navigate to the "set of works" organized by specific concepts. Therefore, all
of the works by "Mark Twain" should be together, and since AACR2 states that he
has different bibliographical identities, there should be a mechanism to bring
these different identities together. The same goes for WWII Battles. All of
this could be done now through the syndetic authority/reference structure, but
the systems are still far too clunky and based too much on cards. Younger
people today find this system very strange.

In my experience, people are happy with the results of a keyword search of
"wwii battles," that is, until they see the alternative of "find subject: world
war, 1939-1945--Battles, sieges, etc. See: World War, 1939-1945--Aerial
operations.; World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns.; World War, 1939-1945--Naval
operations." It is only then that people begin to see and understand what they
are missing by their supposedly "simple searches" and suddenly they aren’t
quite so happy with their Google results anymore. This is when they say they
would like the syndetic structure to be extended about 10,000 times. I believe
that if used to its full potential, the syndetic structure would absolutely
blow people’s minds by its power.

I have done some thinking about this, and I think the basic problem is a
misperception in what we do. We do not really, as in the report above, "
[assign] controlled vocabulary terms or classification numbers." This
mischaracterizes what we do. Librarians who work with the public realize very
quickly that many, if not most, of the so-called "access points" we make are
anything but points of "access." In fact, a lot of the job of reference is
"translating" someone’s natural language requests into the "language" of the
catalog. People think of "insanity" or "madness" instead of "Mental illness"
(authorized), but they still want the 'set of works" organized under the
concept. It’s the labels they find troubling (or as the report says it: the
controlled vocabulary, itself). In fact, users may not even realize that what
they *really* want is the set of works organized under: "Mental
illness--Etiology--Social aspects." until they actually see it.

This is why I think that what we do is much more in the realm of "organization"
than of "providing access." To me, this is the essence of consistency. It is
not some vague thing floating out there with "assigned controlled vocabulary."
For subjects, consistency means insuring that when someone wants the "set of
works on ??? concept, " they will get it. I assert that people still want this
ability and often think they are getting it now. This is what they want when
they do their searches. For example, here are the most popular searches from
Google Trends for today: http://www.google.com/trends
1. flu symptoms 2. veteran s day 2008 3. tim lincecum 4. she by sheree 5. hope
financial 6. goumba johnny 7. bake me a wish 8. melissa baker 9. lee atwater
10. jeb corliss

You can see related searches too. For the heartbreaking, and frightening
search: "hope financial" we see: "inchargedebtsolutions, incharge, in charge,
in chargecom, in charge debt solutions" with links to websites promising
financial hope. For "flu symptoms" you see: "flu, flu symptoms 2008, mono
symptoms, muscle aches, flu map"

In LCSH, flu becomes "Influenza" with all of its subdivisions, and "flu
symptoms" could be translated (automatically?!) into "Influenza--Diagnosis" and
get the WorldCat result: http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=influenza%20diagnosis.
Quite nice results, especially since people can refine the results from here.
In this case, everything works fabulously well. I can limit to "internet
resources," and find the pamphlet "Is it a cold or the flu? by National
Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (U.S.)" which you can download
immediately. I’m sure all of this could be improved immensely.

I don’t know what we would do for "hope financial"...

Is there a role for us in this kind of world? I think shows that there is. Is
it different from what we do now? Definitely. Where does RDA or FRBR fit in? I
don’t know. As far as consistency is concerned, I would hope that people would
concentrate on the most efficient ways of achieving it and perhaps improving it
instead of throwing up their hands in despair.

Jim Weinheimer