Jim,

I recognise that you disagree with the report (and me!) that consistency
in "metadata of judgement" is feasible. I would say that whatever
consistency has been achieved in the past (and I'm not convinced it is
as consistent as you suggest here - if it was, then issues such as
FRBRisation, deduping etc. would not be half the problem they are today)
has been achieved by trying to create a 'controlled environment' with
partial success - I believe that the advent of the web fundamentally
changed our ability to control our environment.

However, all this aside (which we could I'm sure discuss for sometime
preferably over a glass or several of something nice), what I think we
should be clear on is that the report under discussion does not make an
argument of automatic creation of "metadata of judgement" - such as
subject headings. The report says explicitly about deep/broad records
relating to "metadata of judgement" that "computer technology is not yet
at a stage to replace human effort in this regard". The report also is
doubtful that automatic creation of 'brief' records of "metadata of
judgement" is possible at the current time saying "brief judgemental
records are the domain of humans (and maybe computers)"

Owen

Owen Stephens

Assistant Director: eStrategy and Information Resources

Central Library

Imperial College London

South Kensington Campus

London