-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greta de Groat
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 2:44 PM
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA and reproductions

Not only the title of the original, but we also need to know other stuff
about the original. And are we talking about the original platonic work
or the original manifestation?   For a book that's a reproduction we
need to know the publisher and date of the manifestation that's being
reproduced (which may or may not be the same as for the work), for a
videorecording of a motion picture or television program (which is
essentially a reproduction though it usually hasn't been defined that
way), we need to know the place of production and the year of production
(and apparently these are the only motion picture characteristics that
hough the RDA/FRBR folks think that motion picture works have).  As far
as i can tell in RDA, all of the "work" stuff is supposed to be in the
work record.  So it's not even clear to me whether we can use the 534
for work information, which also doesn't have specific subfields for all
that information anyway, so it won't map out to any future work record
and can't be properly searched or limited on now (which is probably why
nobody is using it for reproductions now) or in the future (unless this
is one of the MARBI fast-track things that's supposed to happen)

Given that authority records are sort of our de-facto work records under
the present MARC regime, there isn't any place to put that information
there, either.  Is it supposed to be part of the "constructed" heading?
If so, it sounds like you can only add this info in the case of a
conflict to the heading, and though you may add it to an appropriate
field in the work record, there isnt' any work record yet so you can't
add it there either.  The mappings in Appendix D .3.1map the date of
work and date of expression to the 1xx $f, which as far as i've ever
seen has aways been the date of the manifestation (as in Works and
Selections in books anyway, not about how music uses this subfield).
Anyway, that mapping won't correspond with present practice.  534
(misnumbered as a second iteration of 533) is mapped to related
manifestation, so apparently they don't think the work information
belongs there either, just the manifestation that's being reproduced.

I know we're not supposed to be thinking about data structure in RDA,
but since we have to still do our work in the meantime while we wait for
whatever new format with theoretically be developed, there's no way that
RDA is compatable with the present MARC structure.  Has anybody heard
what fields MARBI is looking at adding to be RDA compatable?  I haven't
heard anything about this for months.  I thought it was supposed to be
happening at Annual but apparently it got tabled until Midwinter.

greta de groat
Stanford University Libraries