J. McRee Elrod wrote:
 Would we now create
a record for a manifestation we've never seen, in order to link to it?
And are we talking about one work record, one expression record, and
two manifestation records?  The reproduction manifestation (Item?)
record would have to link to three other records?  Is it good to have
a manifestation record in your catalogue, or linked to a record in
your catalogue, for womething you don't have?
Ah, thanks, you reminded me of the other example I wanted to add to the
cataloger scenarios -- I'm referring to the work we're doing to test out
the RDA elements (http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/). We're
creating various cataloger scenarios
(http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/Scenarios) and one (or more)
that I want to do is one in which you don't have all of the information.
I don't think this will be a problem... if we look at the FRBR entities
as relationships. It has to be possible to catalog a work when you don't
know about other expressions, or even much about the work itself. So we
need a way to say: I'm sure there is a work, but I don't know anything
about it, so that's blank for now. Regardless of whether works,
expressions, etc. are separate records (and I think it's not appropriate
to think of them as records... that's a database implementation issue),
the relationships need to be possible WHERE you can make them, and not
to interfere where you cannot.

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net