Definitely the idea of a record representing a person needs to be kept seperate
from the various names established according to various rules to label the
person.  Kept seperate conceptually, and kept seperately addressable in our
data.

That doesn't mean that there necessarily need to be two records though. One
record is perfectly capable of including information about 'preferred label in
RDA', 'preferred label used at spanish national library', 'alternate label
according to X', etc, etc. indefintely. You don't need a seperate record for
that. But you do need a record capable of expressing what the relationship of a
name label to the person is, what rules it's established under, etc. One record
can do that though.  I'm not sure if there are benefits to keeping this in
seperate 'record' packages?  Really, as long as the data is clearly identified
and seperately addressable, some people can keep it in one record, and others
in multiple records, and it can still be exchanged and shared and translated.

Personally, I think the idea of a name as 'access point' is no longer useful to
us. The 'access point' terminology kind of has bundled up in it that a name is
used BOTH as a display label AND for collocation -- that is for identifying the
person entity the record belongs to (that's really what 'collocation' means).
Personally, I've argued before that we should be trying to move away from using
one string for both these purposes.  But certainly the legacy practice needs to
be accomodated while we move away from it, sure.  And it can be, with one
record or multiple records.

Jonathan