The work involved in compiling the constituency responses to the drafts
was COLOSSAL.  The stated deadlines were there for good reason.

In the U.S., the approximately 50 members of CC:DA were providing raw
input from their personal and subconstituency perspectives, to which was
added comments from the cataloging community at large via an ALCTS
web-form.  This raw data was filed in a large wiki space, where the
CC:DA members made subsequent comments to provide some communal sense of
consensus and priority of the issues.  When output to Word documents,
there was over 2 MB of data that then had to be distilled down to
something coherent and manageable, which itself was submitted for
feedback by the committee members prior to final submission to the JSC.
All of this TAKES TIME.

The deadlines were there to ensure that the responses were submitted on
time to the JSC which was operating under the dual time constraints of
its own meeting schedule and the deadlines set by the publishers.  There
was no intent to disenfranchise individuals.  But the work needed to be
done on time.  Incorporating late feedback was not a reasonable option
as it would either have to bypass the commenting and consensus
mechanisms to which the other feedback was submitted or in running
through those mechanisms would have delayed the delivery of the other
feedback so that the entire ALA response would not have been considered
by the JSC.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.