Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>:

My understanding of the FRBR model is that it insists that _all_
manifestations belong to an expression which belongs to a work. This is
what leads to aggregates neccesarily being works -- you've got a
manifestation in front of you which is clearly an aggregate. So the
manifestation must be part of a work.

If you look at the simple Group1 diagram:
   http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/fig3-1.jpg
you see that a manifestation can manifest more than one expression. So there are two (at least) ways to go:

1) consider the aggregate a manifestation and an expression and a work; but that doesn't explain why manifestation and expression are many-to-many

2) consider an aggregate a manifestation of more than one expression, and each expression expresses a single work (note the arrows between expression and work -- each expression can express only one work).

It seems to me that the aggregate form (#1 here) completely negates the separation between work, expression and manifestation -- we get back to traditional cataloging where we've only got one "thing" -- which is defined by the manifestation. It also means that once again just about every publication becomes a separate "thing" and we are back to showing our users long lists of bibliographic records for the same text. If that's the goal, why did we bother with FRBR in the first place? What does it gain us?

kc

Possibly it would be better/more flexible to allow manifestations that
do not in fact belong to any expression or work; but I'm not sure, it
gets confusing to think about.  I think maybe a manifestation
neccesarily has to belong to an expression and a work for the model to
make any sense -- but that doesn't mean the work it belongs to actually
needs to be _modelled_, it can just be an as-of-yet-un-modelled work,
that will be modelled only when/if it is useful to do so.

Curious how you are handling this in terms of the model exactly though,
I'm confused.

Riley, Jenn wrote:
Hi Stephen and all,

We’ve made an intentional decision for the V/FRBR project to not use the concept of an aggregate work. The many-to-many nature of Expression to Manifestation for our need adequately models the fact that two symphonies were released on the same disc (for example). For our purposes, there’s no practical (or even semantic in my opinion) benefit to calling those two symphonies by two different composers an aggregate Work.

Like others have commented, I also have reservations about the aggregate notion in FRBR as a whole. That has fed into the practical decisions our project has made.

Jenn