Yes, I agree with you Jonathan. *Both* the rules and the machines are tools to try to provide services for patrons. Just the means to an end.

I think a lot of the confusion arises because of the very varied environments where our data are living. It's not always clear where the problem is--the rules, MARC, the software interface? Maybe it's not always convincing to say "a machine could do X if it had Y data" and a cataloger may think, well, my machine can't do that!

We have many situations with our non-MARC data where we are trying to stick to future-oriented data, in cases where the machines cannot yet make use of it. It's a *very hard sell*.

Diana Brooking             (206) 685-0389
Cataloging Librarian       (206) 685-8782 fax
Suzzallo Library           dbroo...@u.washington.edu
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA  98195-2900