MARC is "machine readable" but only to a limited point.  A classic example is
the 300 field, which I go into some depth in
http://dltj.org/article/defining-metadata-accessibility/ from an accessibility
and machine readability point of view:

  it is the difference between "ix, 74 p. : ill. ; 23 cm" and "9 pages
  of introductory material followed by 74 numbered pages. Includes
  illustrations. 23 centimeters high." If the only way to transmit this
  information was auditory, which one of these would you like spoken to
  you? Is it: "eye-ex, seventy four pee. ill. twenty three cem"?

Given the variation that is possible in the MARC 300 field, it is very hard to
write a computer algorithm to parse them.  Others have commented on this
problem as well:

http://carolslib.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/marc-and-machine-readability-revisited/
  http://www.librarything.com/topic/90309
  http://blog.infomuse.net/2010/05/20/why-punctuation-matters/

LibraryThing has a page with MARC 300 tags showing the wide variety of what can
be found there:

  http://www.librarything.com/test_physicaldescription.php

The problems aren't limited to the 300 tag.  Another example comes with the 245
field.  See Jason Thomale's "Interpreting MARC: Where's the Bibliographic
Data?" in the Code4Lib journal: http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/3832

My point in listing these examples is not to denigrate the work that has been
done through the ages.  Rather, it is to reinforce the notion that new rules
and new formats are needed for a new information era.

Peter
--
Peter Murray         peter.mur...@lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955

Assistant Director                                http://dltj.org/about/
Lyrasis   --    Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.
The Disruptive Library Technology Jester                http://dltj.org/
Attrib-Noncomm-Share   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/