Jim Weinheimer wrote:

As one of those veteran catalogers, I honestly do not see how the
changes in RDA have a lot of potential. Which changes do you have in
mind? The abbreviations? The changes in the headings of the Bible? The
lack of the $b in titles?

One could argue interminably the pros and cons of abbreviating or not.
I can see merits to both sides, as well as to native language
representation of missing date issue.  (That is, the replacement of
[s.l.] with [place of publication not identified], where [s.l.] replaces
the earlier [n.p.] for "no place".)  I am however adequately convinced
by the machine processing crowd to hold my reservations in abeyance.

The Bible heading changes would happen regardless of RDA -- they were
the last proposal to change AACR2 and were rolled into RDA rather than
causing a new update to AACR2 in the middle of the RDA development
process.

If by "lack of $b in titles" you mean that the "Other title information"
element is not part of the core elements of RDA, I would point out,
insofar as AACR2 had core elements which I will equate with the "first
level of description" articulated at 1.0D1, it is neither a core element
of AACR2.  The equivalence of the RDA core element set as a "Full level"
record is an undesirable possibility, but is a consequence of policy
implementation not of RDA itself.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.