Quoting John Hostage <host...@law.harvard.edu>:

These corporate body access points for persons holding an office are strange hermaphrodites that are peculiar to the Anglo-American tradition, I think. The idea of using both a corporate heading for the official and a personal name heading for the same person on records for official communications was an anomaly in AACR2, and even more so in RDA. It's not a case of 2 different entities having responsibility for the communication; it's 2 different ways of approaching the same entity. It would be better handled through cross references on the authority records, which are made already, than with redundant access points on the bib records. We could also consider whether these constructed access points for officials make any sense to anyone but catalogers.

They make fine sense if you look at browse lists of headings, er, access points!

They may not help many users much, but they help cataloguers do their work; and they gather together data for like documents. Try sorting out official documents from prolific papal writers (John Paul II and Benedict XVI both qualify!) without them! There is a different bibliographic personality involved, if that's really a valid doctrine (as applied to pseudonymous names).

Maybe we should think about access for both a pseudonymous name and the "real" name of people who write both under their real name and under a pseudonym. That would help greatly with collections and works issued under different names in different editions; also for subject treatment of a writer's oeuvre.

Hal Cain
Melbourne, Australia
hec...@dml.vic.edu.au