From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Mike Tribby
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 4:12 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] latin, the dead language

In the conversations that many members of this list tend to find as boring
and pointless as can be, it has been suggested that abbreviations based on
Latin terms are arcane and that most library patrons likely don't understand
them. I have mixed feelings about this, ranging from strong agreement that
few know what "S.l." or "S.n." mean to dismay that we are supposedly
cataloging for library users unfamiliar with "etc.", etc.

Today I'm cataloging a book about muscle development for bodybuilders,
mostly weightlifters. It has a two-page glossary of Latin terms. Apparently
these bodybuilders are better equipped to search our information silos than
library users at large are.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.