But if you use this abbreviation as it is actually written, namely, s.l., (lower case with full stops following the letters) almost all of these alternatives disappear. I have never seen steam locomotive abbreviated as sl, although sometimes maybe SL. The disambiguation is necessary here because of the way computers are programmed to tolerate certain variations, a practice that is occasionally counter-productive, as here.

Perhaps there is a better example to illustrate your point.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian