I think the line between 2.4.1.8 and 2.3.4 is very blurry.  In 2.3.4.1, it says
"Other title information may include any phrase appearing with a title proper
that is indicative of the character, contents, etc. of the resource ..."  That
could very well be interpreted as meaning that a phrase such as "a novel" is
other title information; but then 2.4.1.8 is quite helpful when you have
something like "text by Person A, drawings by Person B".  I wouldn't
necessarily say that it would be "right" or "wrong" to record the phrase "a
novel by Author C" as either (in ISBD form) ": a novel / by Author C" or "/ a
novel by Author C".  It all depends on how the cataloger is interpreting the
information.  Wouldn't a phrase such as "a novel of the Old West" fit better as
other title information, even if it was connected to the author's name with the
word "by"?  On the other hand, it wouldn't affect access very much (if at all?)
by being recorded as part of the statement of responsibility.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library