I don't really want to fan the flames any more than is necessary, but I think a
few responses are in order.

Bibliographic record sharing: Multiple language versions of bibliographic
records of the same resource already exist in our bibliographic utilities.  How
in the world does RDA impede bibliographic record sharing when this situation
already exists?  Do the bibliographic records that SLC produces contain only
internationally acceptable abbreviations or words?  What do you do when the
need arises to make a note? Doesn't that have to be in the language of the
catalog for which the resource is intended?

UBC: If UBC is accomplished by using natural language strings, then yes, your
point is well taken that a string that uses English, German, French, etc. terms
to describe the type of date, cannot be readily shared.  But using natural
language to achieve UBC is stupid anyways.  Names change and dates change.  If
you want to achieve UBC then unique identifiers, such as URIs, must be used to
uniquely identify persons, works, and the data elements that describe each of
these.  How these elements display (whether as hyphens or with specific
language terms) should be left to the programming of user displays.

Arguing over whether or not ca. or circa should be used, or 1978- vs. born 1978
is pointless when it comes to creating the metadata of the future.  The only
sense that this argument is meaningful is if we continue to use natural
language strings to control bibliographic entities such as persons.  If we
continue to control headings in this manner, then this will be a problem in a
multi-lingual catalog.  But if identification and control is done using URIs,
then this problem becomes mute.  Using URIs will allow the Francophone users of
a French/English catalog to have the record display in French while the
Anglophone users will have the same record displayed using an English display.
I get the sense that you believe the cataloger will have to supply every
language permutation for a date display, but this is simply not the case.  This
is something that can be done through computer programming on the
user-interface side.

Damian Iseminger
New England Conservatory