This is true, of course. I find I consult French authority records (which
indicate gender), directly or shown in VIAF, more often than others; it applies
also to Latin and Greek, though the instances when Latin, or pre-modern Greek,
would call for masculine/feminine distinctions in cataloguing are probably few!

Hal Cain
Melbourne, Australia
hegc...@gmail.com