IFLA principle 2.2. states: "Common usage. Vocabulary used in descriptions and
access should be in accord with that
of the majority of users."  My question remains: how do we know what vocabulary
the "majority of users" expect to find in a catalog?  Have any empirical
studies been done on the question? Is there even such a thing as "the majority
of users" given the diversity of users and user-tasks that are carried out in
library catalogs?  (These are not merely rhetorical questions... if someone has
worked on this, I'd love to see what they discovered.)

Some AACR2-isms, like "[s.l.]", seem pretty clearly to be outside of the norm
for an English-speaking person who is not a cataloger or a pedant (but perhaps
I repeat myself, here ;)).  But others, like "circa" or "flourished" seem less
clear-cut.  (They both show up in Webster's, for example.)  And when we start
replacing "circa" with "approximately" and "flourished 1532-1593" with
"approximately 1532-approximately 1593", aren't we encroaching on IFLA's
principle 2.7, "Economy"?

I understand that, at some point in the post-MARCian future, most of these
terms will be replaced with URIs, so a library (or even an individual library
user) will able to "tune" its display according to local preference.  But, we
aren't there yet, and seems uncertain to me when we'll arrive.  And when we do
there will be a lot of unconverted data to deal with so it seems like it's
still worth discussing the "literals", as it were.

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries