From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] on behalf of Adam L. Schiff
[asch...@u.washington.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 5:44 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Naming works question

I have two publications with the same title proper, one of which is a summary
of the other:

245 00 Water availability in the Ovens : $b a report to the Australian
Government from the CSIRO Murray-Darling Basin Sustainable Yields Project.
264 #1 [Clayton South, Victoria] : $b CSIRO, $c [2008]
300 ## iii, 100 pages : $b color illustrations, color maps ; $c 30 cm.

245 00 Water availability in the Ovens : $b summary of a report to the
Australian Government from the CSIRO Murray-Darling Basin Sustainable Yields
Project.
264 #1 [Clayton South, Victoria] : $b CSIRO, $c [2008]
300 ## 11 pages : $b color illustrations, color maps ; $c 30 cm

The question that I have is how best to distinguish between the source work and
the derivative work.  On the record for the summary I could add the following:

787 08 $i Summary of (work): $t Water availability in the Ovens

but since the title is identical, this must have a qualifier of some sort, yes?
If so what would make a reasonable qualifier?  The reciprocal relationship
would be:

787 08 $i Summary (work): $t Water availability in the Ovens

Again, I think I need to break the conflict here by adding a qualifier.  I
thought perhaps of using "(Summary)" but I've not seen this done in any other
situation.

Just wondering what advice you might have about this sort of situation.

Thanks,

Adam Schiff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff