From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rochkind
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 6:06 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Naming works question

This is not new to RDA. It is a problem inherited from AACR2-style 'citations',
and MARC. But:

730 0 $i Summary (work): $t Water availability in the Ovens (Summary)

The problem with this, is there's absolutely no way for a computer to actually
_look up_ the 'work cited' here. It's going to be looking for a record with a
title "Water availability in the Ovens (Summary)", but no such record (bib or
authority) exists, right?

I have no idea what the best solution for this is in the current
infrastructure, but it's an example of the serious problems with our inherited
infrastructure, which clearly "RDA" is not a magic bullet for.  When those
'citations' were written for humans who were going to to take them and manually
look up the other record in a printed (bound/card) catalog, they didn't need to
be exact, they just needed to get the user to the right place in the alphabetic
file and the reader could recognize the 'match' on their own.

That is not the environment we are in, or have been in for about 15-20 years
now.

So that kind of citation is nearly useless in the online environment.  Adding
an RDA "Summary (work)" does not make it any more useful.