From: Jonathan Rochkind [mailto:rochk...@jhu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:34 PM
To: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
Cc: Kathleen Lamantia
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Additional work required by RDA

You have "DVD", "Compact Disc"  and "Comic Book" as GMD's in 245$h?

This is curious to me, and I wonder what your data source is for records with
these GMD's. None of those are on the 'standard' list of GMDs, and you won't
generally find any of those used as GMD's on MARC from OCLC or LC.

The actual standard GMD's are much less useful for patrons in most environments
then the ones you use as examples, and indeed the not-so-useful nature of the
standard GMD's most of us have is, in my impression, part of what motivated
trying to come up with a more reasonable and flexible system for recording
form/format data, which was actually a multi-year (10? more?)
process/discussion, one product of which is the RDA 3xx vocabularies.