From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Greta de Groat
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:39 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Additional work required by RDA

I've been creating constant data forms for my most commonly used formats, with
the 33x fields already filled in--that's even faster.

I really like the 33x fields for many of the materials that i catalog, but
there are some gaping holes.

There isn't a content type that's appropriate for video/computer games or other
interactive materials--we've been using Computer program combined with
Two-dimensional moving image, which might be technically appropriate but is
also misleading and doesn't really get at the nature of the material.

Three-dimensional moving image is somewhat misleading in that it appears to be
intended for films, but is apparently not appropriate for 3-dimensional games,
which uses the term in a somewhat different fashion (the ability to move in 3
dimensions in the game space).

In the media types, Computer appears to be only for the data and programs
(..."designed for use with a computer..."), but not for the computer itself
(i.e. if you are cataloging an iPad).  We've concluded that it's Other, but
that's not very useful.  Similarly, the computer carriers in the carrier type
appear to be the storage media but not the computer itself.   It's not even
clear to me from RDA whether hard drives or flash drives can be considered
carrier types since they aren't on the list and it doesn't say that you are
permitted to consider anything but the listed carriers under the listed
type--it does say in 3.1.4.5 that you can use another term in the Extent
element but it's not clear how that relates to 3.3.

We also ran into problems with a book that consisted almost entirely of
stereographic images, but volume isn't listed under stereographic carriers so
we weren't sure we could use 337 stereographic with 338 volume.

Greta de Groat
Stanford University Libraries