Mulling over 2.3.4.2, for myself, I see it says: "Take other title
information from the same source as the title proper (see 2.3.2.2)."

OK, that is a very direct instruction--take it from the same source.

Then 2.3.2.2 says: "Take the title proper from the preferred source of
information for the identification of the resource as specified under
2.2.2—2.2.3"

Then 2.2.2.2 says: "For a book "use the title page, title sheet, or title
card (or image thereof) as the preferred source of information."

So, I agree with Heidrun that RDA is saying that if you find a Title Proper
on the title page, then that is the only source that you can use for the
Other Title Information.

2.2.4 says "If information taken from a source outside the resource itself
is supplied [including for other title information], indicate that fact
either by means of a note or by some other means (e.g., through coding or
the use of square brackets)." But the other title information is not from
outside the resource, so, as Heidrun says, this does not apply to our
situation

But there is the Note instruction at: 2.20.2 Note on Title. Don't forget
that 'Title' covers all the elements listed under 2.3, so this note covers
Other Title Information.

2.20.2.3  specifically mentions making a note for a Parallel Title Proper:
"If a parallel title proper is taken from a different source than the title
proper, make a note on the source of the parallel title proper if it is
considered important"

And then there is 2.20.2.5: "Make notes on other details relating to a title
if they are considered to be important for identification or access."

So, I would apply the reasoning given at 2.20.2.3 for Parallel Title Proper
to Other Title Information and say that if Other Title Information is taken
from a different source than the Title Proper, we can make a note on the
source of the Other Title Information if it is considered important.

And in MARC terms that would mean that a note about a subtitle from a cover
would be given in the 246 (just as we have been doing under AACR) as:

246 1# $i Subtitle from cover: $a VF-17's Top Guns in World War II

Does this sound logical?

Deborah