John,

Thank you. I believe this is the solution to my problem.

Just found the relevant bit in RDA:

"2.3.2.5 Titlein more than one form
(...)
If the other title or titles are considered to be important for identification or access, record them:
either
a) as other title information (see 2.3.4)
or
b) as variant titles (see 2.3.6)"

So, it's rather a matter of definition: If it's not on the same source as the title proper, than by RDA's definition it cannot be other title information. The information is nonetheless transcribed, but as a different element (variant title).

I still find this a bit odd because often enough you would intuitively think of such texts as "other title information", but I can live with that. The important thing is to know that it is indeed possible to record the information in question, and how it is done.

Heidrun