Steven Awakara wrote, and Deborah Fritz replied:

      b. If the presentation on the cover is ambiguous -- the other title
could possibly be interpreted as the title proper -- make a 246 1  $i Other
title on cover: $a <other title> -- Just as you would if you had  the same
situation on the title page. Do not transcribe the other title in 245 $b
with or without brackets.

[DF:] Yes, but based on John's explanation again, this would be:
246 1# $i Variant title on cover: $a <variant title>

In looking at the examples in 2.20.2.3 (b) for variant title notes, there
is no use of "variant title," only the standard formulations that are part
of MARC documentation for 246 1-8. I don't think the note info in $i needs
to specify that the title is "variant."

Cary T. Isley
Catalog & Metadata Librarian
Tulsa Community College