The "first" statement of responsibility is not always easy to determine--for
many books there is something standing at the head of title position and
something else physically following the title.  Which of those is first?
Cataloger judgement? What if the one at the head of the title is a logo or
graphic of some sort?

The statement of responsibility for videos is particularly problematic, since
as Heidrun points out in 2.4.2.3, not all statements are recorded and it's not
really clear from that rule which statements one should record.  According to
Appendix I, the only "creators" of moving image works are screenwriters.
Producers, directors, production companies, and directors of photography are
"contributors." The "first" name on the credits is almost never the
screenwriter.  And it depends on whether "first" may precede the title or
whether it has to follow it.  The typical pattern for a commercial feature is:

Distribution company
Production company A, B, C, D in association with company E, F, G, John Doe,
with support from company H, I, presents Actor 1, Actor 2, Actor 3, Actor 4,
Actor 5 actor 6 in
Title
A bunch more actor names
A bunch of technical crew
Editor
Director of photography and a bunch of other folks
Producer John Doe, Jane Smith, James Jones
Executive producer
bunches of associate producers
screenwriter
director

So, is my first statement the distribution company?  Production company
A,B,C,D?  That statement plusc                   the "in association"
statement?  How about the support statement?  Or do i just jump to what's after
the title?  In which case is the first statement the director of photography
because that role is the first named after the title that's associated with the
"work"?  Or do i just jump to screenwriter because he's the first creator?

And remember that there's a rule that a "presents" statement preceding the
title is title information that is introductory in nature so you don't
transcribe it as part of the title, but if you feel you want to record it you
do so as a variant title (2.3.1.6).  That implies to me that it is not
considered a statement of responsibility.  However, practically speaking, if
there are too many names interposed between the "presents" and the title, it's
impractical to record as a variant title and feels more like a statement of
responsibility to me, but perhaps i'm just stretching the rules here.

Most video catalogers i know try to include everything, which is extremely
burdensome and, frankly i think a poor use of one's time.  Personally, i try to
do the first and put the rest in the 508.   I'll usually go with the production
company, though when the title is followed by a "by" or "a film by" statement i
usually go with that.

I suspect that every cataloger's reading of the rules will be different.
Anybody else working on videos want to comment on your reading of the rules?

Video games are problematic as well, as the disc label and container usually
contain no formal statement of responsibility, just a plethora of logos of
various companies whose functions are not given.  You may need to go to a third
party resource like allgame.com or mobygames.com to figure out who did what.
Or you can look in the booklet and it might have a big bunch of programmer
credits at the end, but nothing that looks like an overall statement naming a
"creator" whatever that is in the context of a video game.

Greta de Groat
Stanford University Libraries